Thursday 8 July 2010

Security can be too secure

What a day. I'm reviewing a terabyte, encrypted, external disk and it's driving me crazy. After setting my security keys, I had to put some data on there. After about two hours, the drive locked up. Start again. After about two hours the drive locked up. Tried again and the same result. Tried yet again and accidentally pulled the USB plug from my laptop.

I'm persevering and a transfer is going on as I write but it's so difficult to type with your fingers crossed. (Guess what happened. It crashed again)

I found new challenges when the plug came out. I tried to log-in using my passcode on the drive's touch screen keyboard. I touch a number and an asterisk appears. I do it several times with the same result. I try the penultimate number and... nothing. I try again and it registers. I finish off the last number and press return. WRONG PASSWORD it tells me.

I try yet again with the same sticky response. Then, after another failed attempt, it comes up with a message to the effect that a hacking attempt has been detected and the data will be erased. The only on-screen response offered me is CONTINUE. I continue, switch off the drive again. Reconnect and find that the data is still there. What's going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment